In the Consulting Engineer role you will directly contribute to the product, be responsible for feature releases and be part of product discussions. The key difference from a core engineer being that a consulting engineer is client-facing.
As a Consulting Engineer you will play a vital part of the pre and post-sales process, providing the technical expertise to help potential customers understand how they can use Tyk to meet their API management needs.
You will take part in calls and meetings to discuss requirements, answer questions and provide recommendations. For complex scenarios, it may be necessary to propose a solution or create a proof of concept to satisfactorily demonstrate that the requirements can be met.
Some opportunities may be in conjunction with partners, which will require you to work with them to integrate Tyk into an overall solution.
Beyond this, you will work with other Consulting Engineers to enhance the assets available to support the discipline, as well as contribute to the product and supporting documentation.
As part of the role, you can expect to be doing most (if not all) of the following:
- Collaborate with account managers, developers and other consulting engineers as part of the pre-sales process
- Take part in pre-sales calls, in-person meetings and off-site visits
- Collaborate with partners on opportunities
- Provide solutions for opportunities
- Develop specifications and proof of concepts based on client requirements
- Respond to requests for information and proposals
- Perform product demonstrations
- Conduct product workshops
- Contribute to consultancy assets
- Contribute to product development
- Contribute to product documentation
- Contribute to product support
- Provide feedback into product feature backlog
- Write technical articles and blog posts
This role has a flexible location. Tyk has offices in London and Singapore, as well as employees working remotely all over the world. The role may occasionally require you to travel for meetings, onboarding sessions, conferences and company-wide get-togethers. When working remotely, it is important to have a reliable and performant internet connection which will enable you to take part in video conferencing.
RequirementsOur Ideal Candidate
- Background in software development and/or solution architecture
- Practical experience working with APIs
- API Gateway concepts such as authentication, authorisation, load balancing, mocking, transformation etc
- Analysis and assessment of functional requirements
- Creating proof of concepts
- Creating and documenting solution architectures
- Cloud infrastructure
- Container technology
- General usage of Linux, scripting and related utilities
- Collaborating with 3rd parties on solutions
- Client-facing activities such as video conference calls, in-person meetings, pitches and presentations
- Demonstrating software
- Clear communicator
- Understanding of common internet technologies, protocols, standards and data formats
- Excellent communication and technical skills to connect with, and establish trust with our clients
- A good understanding of DevOps and deployment practices and technologies (Puppet, Chef, Docker, Cloud services such as AWS and Azure, as well as IaaS such as OpenShift and Heroku)
- The confidence to input into architecture discussions around deployment topologies, scaling, performance & sizing
- Experience with customer-facing activities
- Development experience with complex systems
- 1+ yrs of backend engineering experience
- Experience building applications in Go, C, or C++
- Passionate about working on and contributing to Open Source
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- The ability to travel as needed and to work flexible hours with prospects in different geographies backed by a distributed team
- Providing support to end users
These are the common technologies used at Tyk (but you are not required to be an expert in any of them – at Tyk we will make sure that you learn the key skills you need where there are gaps!):
- Cloud providers such as AWS, GCP and Azure
Our early stage team members will shape our business, there is an attractive package based on experience and performance that includes equity. Everyone has unlimited holiday.
You will work with a talented, and passionate team of industry experts, developing a cutting-edge product that is driving change and innovation within startups and household names alike.
We’re a distributed team. Work from our London office during induction, once you are up to speed, you can work from home, a cafe, your mum’s house, wherever you get your best work done, we’ll support you in making that happen.
The best software and hardware available – we are prime movers in “The New Stack”, our setup reflects that.
We are growing rapidly and are looking for team members keen to grab hold, accelerate that further and shape our future.